Greetings, readers! This week in The Montana Conservationist: Louis Wertz of the Western Landowners Alliance…
Greetings, readers! Conservation Districts and CD Supervisors across the state have been getting a lot of press this month for their great work, and we’ve got it all in this issue. So pour yourself an ice bath (hello, 100 degree day), sit back, and dig into this week’s issue of the Montana Conservationist:
- We are excited to introduce MACD’s new executive director, Dan McGowan. Dan joined our office on Monday of last week, and we can already tell that he’ll be a great leader for MACD and SWCDM!
- In Sand Springs, one rancher says that working with BLM to conduct prescribed burns may have protected his home and land during last summer’s Lodgepole Complex fire.
- In Townsend, the Hahn Ranch has been recognized nationally for their outstanding environmental stewardship. Read what they’re up to!
- The Montana Range Camp, hosted by Dawson and Richland CDs, was last month and the Sidney Herald has a great writeup about everything the kids learned.
- Judith Basin CD supervisor PJ Myllymaki was featured in the Judith Basin press for a farm tour recently hosted on her land to demonstrate her regenerative approach to agriculture.
- Ag Research Service gives us one more reason to love prairies: they are helping doctors research and understand antibiotic resistant bacteria.
- As you may have heard, USFWS and NOAA Fisheries came out with proposed changes to their implementation of the Endangered Species Act. Read up on the proposals, and consider submitting comments.
- Beef Magazine says that according to a recent survey, conservation is becoming a high priority for ranchers (kudos!)
- And finally, MSU Extension has released their publication Montana’s Noxious Weeds in a new, downloadable mobile friendly format, so that you can read up on weeds from the comfort of your hand held device!
All of the conservation to keep you cool on a hot summer’s day. Read the Montana Conservationist this week: TMC 2018-08-08